Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Prodigals... (part one)

The Pride of Parents of Prodigals
(The first of a few blogs)


"My name is Hal and my son was a prodigal."

From what I have seen that is a variation of the AA meeting. Why do I start like this? Here is the reason. I have heard of one family today from out of state who is dealing with a prodigal AND I have talked personally with a parent today who has a prodigal. And we know of many more. The encouraging thing about the parent I talked with today is that they recognize their child is a prodigal.

It was interesting, I was just about to order a new book titled ,"Get Outta My Face" that I am looking at maybe teaching at CBC. The phone rang and we had a good talk about this parent's prodigal and the problem that many parents are facing.

Let me say this... if you have a prodigal, you will never be able to begin helping them or yourself until you are honest enough to say, "my son, my daughter is a prodigal." Pride will not get them to return. The truth is where you must start. You don't place blame on yourself or God. You just see that rebellion is occurring and your prodigal is out there.

My son Jonathan went through a time of being a prodigal. (You can read some of his journey on his blog.) It wasn't days or months but years. The return was not easy for any of us. It was drugs, alcohol, sex and you name it. But one day after an arrest and a charge for drug use, etc. the slow journey for home started for him. Now he is home. But DeeDee and I were never fooling ourselves - he was a prodigal and we knew it. (By the way I have his full permission to share his story any time.)

Do you have a prodigal? Be truthful. It doesn't do any good to deny it or ignore it. Once you admit it you can begin praying rightly and responding correctly.

More next time...

If you have comments or questions about dealing with prodigals leave them I will read them and if you want a response I'll give it a try. (or if you need to email me privately - you are welcome to do so at hal@calerabaptist.org)

Gripped by Grace
Hal

2 comments:

DeeDee said...

Even though people are not commenting yet - I know that this is reaching many. The need is real - the need is great.

Thanks so much for being transparent and willing to help.

I love you!
~dd

Unknown said...

I love you daddy-o.
Jonathan