Monday, February 9, 2009

Prodigals... (part two)

Parents of Prodigals: Respond or React?
(The second of a few blogs)

In last week's blog I asked this, "Do you have a prodigal?" Then I said, "Be truthful. It doesn't do any good to deny it or ignore it. Once you admit it you can begin praying rightly and responding correctly."

Responding - not reacting - is what is important as you deal with your prodigal. When you react you say things you may later regret. When you respond you can take time to think and say those things and do those things which are productive.

I speak from experience. During the days of my son's prodigal experience I often tended to react rather than respond. I would threaten and yell. But the truth is that never worked.

My wife tended more to respond and encouraged me to do the same. To respond is to step back and look at the offence and lifestyle your prodigal is choosing. Then see how you can step in and say, "Stop" before your prodigal goes over the edge into the abyss.

Responding does not mean you are not firm. But you are firm in a constructive way. Instead of saying, "This is wrong and that is wrong." You point out the error and then give constructive insights to lead away from the edge.

Don't misunderstand, you may need to take the car or cell phone and cut off the cash flow, but don't just do it - explain the loving reason and not that you are just reacting out of anger.

So the next time you are dealing with your prodigal, think, "Am I responding or reacting?"

More next week...

If you have comments or questions about dealing with prodigals leave them in the comments section or e-mail me privately at hal@calerabaptist.org, If there is a need to reply I will do so.

Gripped by Grace,
Hal

1 comment:

Tricia said...

I am the sister of a prodigal...

Thanks for doing these posts... I think they will help many, we all know prodigals and need help and guidance in reaching them.

Blessings!