Friday, January 30, 2009

My Boy is Going Back to the "Sandbox"

Last year while having lunch with two old friends from high school, both of which are also in the ministry, I mentioned that Jonathan was deployed to Kuwait/Iraq. One looked at me and as he smiled he said, "You raised a warrior." Well, my "Warrior" will be going back to war. He is being redeployed to Afghanistan.

His Momma and I didn't intend to raise a warrior. We raised a boy/man to love the Lord, his family and life. He does love all three.

But he also loves extremes. He has ridden a tall tree down and busted his head. He has jumped ramps on his bicycle and gotten a busted lip and a black eye. He has looked down the barrel of a potato gun, he built, fired it to check for the spark and burned off his eye lashes and half an eyebrow. He killed two squirrels at 8 years old with two shots. And alot more stuff with BB guns and other guns. He rode on the back of a four-wheeler with a snake wrapped around his arm. He can suck string up his nose and make it come out his mouth. He can hammer a 16 penny nail up his nose and balance a 10 foot long 2 X 2 on his chin. And by the way he has eaten a live lizard, for money.

Yep, we raised him to be all boy and all man and now I found out we raised a warrior.

When you read all this stuff, and it's not near all, now you really know to pray for him as he goes again to "the sand box" in harms way.

I really love my boy.

Gripped by Grace,
Hal

9 comments:

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Praying for your warrior boy...for DeeDee...and for you. Beautiful post from a father's heart. Thank you...

Kelly Gerken
(A Blog friend of DeeDee's)

Darlene said...

I couldn't help but smile at some of these memories you have.
The live lizard always makes me gag. LOL Nonetheless...I know you are so proud of your warrior boy and so are we.
Great post!
Darlene

Tricia said...

Ok Bro. Hal... you have me scared! I do not know if I can handle my boys doing stuff like that... eating live lizards...

Anonymous said...

I loved reading THIS and all Hal's other "posts!" Hal, could I be talking to you? I'm praying for "ya'lls boy in the sand." He surely is ALL BOY and now ALL MAN! I love you!
Jan Dickson

Tammy said...

The things I might have to look forward to as a mother of a boy.

Sounds like you raised a wonderful son and I pray for his safety as he serves the US.

Blessings!

The Equipped Life said...

Oh!! You had me up to the 'string in the nose and out the mouth' thing... GUYS!!!

It's easy to read the love and pride behind every word. Thank you for raising a son in such a way that he WANTED to go into the military for his country, for people he doesn't even know.

I absolutely will be thanking God for Jonathan, and praying for his safety, as he goes back into harms way for America...for me.

Anonymous said...

Hal,

I prayed for the Hero you and DeeDee raise when he was serving our coutry before and I will pray for him again. I will also pray for you and DeeDee and the family. I am enjoying being back at Marble City and worshiping with your Mom and Dad. I was with 1st Baptist Sylacauga today and share your story that you blogged about God's Grace when DeeDee was sick. Ya'll are making a difference in many lifes. Keep on keeping on and I know DeeDee will be holding on to Jesus.

Love you'll,
Sheila

Real Life Encouragement from Angie said...

Hi Hal,

I will be praying for God's grace for all of you. My oldest son was in Iraq 5 years ago during his 4 year stay in the Navy. It's tough but God's grace is always sufficient. You know this better than many but it still doesn't lessen the pain of seeing your son head into dangerous territory. However, it does strengthen our faith. We will trust God with you to keep Jonathan safe while he accomplishes not only the mission of our country but the greater mission of leading others to follow Christ.

Jer. 29:11

Angie Dean

Laurie Ann said...

Oh, I am praying for your Warrior Son. Now I feel really safe, as fearless as he seems to be! I don't know which impressed me more, eating a live lizard for money or sucking string through his nose and making it come out his mouth, LOL! DeeDee pointed me this way - seriously...I loved your thoughts on your son. May God bless him as they protect us.